Position: Staff Accountant
Status: W-2 employee non-exempt
Time Commitment: Full-time (40 hours/week)
Compensation: $23.00 – $25.00 (based on qualifications and experience)
Organization: Urban Street Angels, Inc. (“USA”) is a local non-profit organization founded in 2012 with a mission to end youth homelessness in the San Diego area. At this time, USA operates in several related areas. First, housing programs provide over 100 emergency and/or supportive housing beds for transition-aged youth (“TAY” 18 – 25 years old) living on the streets in our community. Second, our rapid re-housing programs effectively bridge TAY to sustainable, long-term housing. And third, our social enterprise programs provide vital job skills training, education, and transitional employment opportunities for the TAY in our programs.
We believe that every person deserves a safe place to call home. We work tirelessly to stamp out the stigma associated with homelessness and we know that the pathway to disrupt chronic, institutionalized homeless starts with hope and opportunity.
Position: Staff Accountant (Full-Time)
USA is searching for a Staff Accountant who will be responsible for handling various accounting tasks in a fast-paced non-profit organization setting. The Staff Accountant will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer.
This role will be tasked with providing essential support in various fiscal areas, including:
- Accounting Support – YHDP Program (50%): In collaboration with our Case Manager and Peer Support Specialist roles, perform detailed reviews and analyses of Rapid-Re-housing budgets and funding waterfall plans, and ensure that the program’s financial requirements are being met (primarily core treasury functions, including lease review, preparation of recurring payment via check or ACH instructions, and account reconciliations);
- Accounting (20 – 25%): G/L accounting (journal entries, trial balances, bank reconciliations, etc.);
- Billing / Accounts Receivable (10 – 15%): Periodic invoicing of funding partners with underlying documentation;
- Budgeting (5 – 10%): Development of program budgets and monitoring/reporting of funding utilization rates;
- Expense reporting (0 – 5%): E-reporting of employee expenses, and related paper expense reporting protocols;
- Financial reporting (0 – 5%): Monthly financial close, and financial statements;
- Financial reporting (0 – 5%): Fiscal year-end reporting requirements for earned revenue contracts;
- Fixed assets (0 – 5%): Maintenance, tracking and reporting of USA’s fixed asset and inventory systems;
- Records management and retention (0 – 5%): Maintenance of accurate, organized financial records;
- Accounting system (n/a): Transition from offline accounting framework to QuickBooks Online.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy or Business Administration (Accounting track only) required
- Minimum 2+ years of G/L accounting experience and proven track record of effective communication skills;
- Advanced proficiency working with productivity apps (e.g., MS Excel, MS Word, MS Access, MS PowerPoint)
- Experience working with online accounting software;
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize tasks; work efficiently with minimal supervision; and maintain a very detail-oriented posture with respect to document reviews, financial spreadsheets, deliverables, etc.
- Interest in working with underserved populations.
- Must submit to a background check via Live Scan (with ongoing alerts), as required by specific programs, funding requirements and licensing regulations.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record.
Requirements, including linguistic and cultural skills, education, experience, licenses and certifications: Maintain and execute confidential information according to HIPAA standards.
Additional requirements: Excellent organizational skills and monitoring details focus; demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations; ability and desire to work as part of a team; ability to keep confidential information confidential and be discreet; and willingness to support USA’s mission and values. Position requires ability to use technology such as tablets and databases to document input; ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally; and advanced proficiency working with computers.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Spends approximately 60-80% of work time sitting and meeting with others or working at a desk and/or computer. Spends approximately 20-40% of work time standing or walking within the work area or outside the office at appointments with youth, meetings and events, also bends, twists, stoops and reaches. Ability to communicate in writing and verbally. Regularly required to sit and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Frequently is required to use hands to touch, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. Frequently lifts and/or moves up to 15 pounds and occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 50 pounds (on wheels). The noise level is usually moderate.
USA reserves the right to revise job descriptions as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
It is the policy of Urban Street Angels, Inc. to ensure equal employment, contractor and volunteer opportunity without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.